Support for Students

In this section you will be able to find links to various resources from both within and external to the University of Oxford. These links will signpost you to information on sources of funding and general resources relating to a variety of topics and needs. Prospective students at any career stage – Undergraduate to PhD – can follow this non-exhaustive collection of links to find the support appropriate to them. We hope you find them helpful! A more extensive list of resources can be found here.


Please note that Dr Carvalho is not accepting new DPhil students until 2023 or 2024. If you are searching for post-doctoral opportunities, research collaborations or wish to volunteer in our lab, please contact Dr Carvalho.


Our lab is part of the Institute of Human Sciences, which is one of the units composing the School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography which offers a range of courses. Those most aligned with the research at our lab include: BA in Human Sciences, BA in Archaeology & Anthropology (joint with the School of Archaeology), MSc in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology, DPhil in Anthropology. Information on other courses offered by the School can be found here.


If you are looking for information on scholarships, the University Fees and Funding webpages are a good place to start. There is information for prospective undergraduate and graduate students which covers internal and external scholarships and funding for both national and international students, as well as tuition and living costs. Further subject-specific funding opportunities for graduate students are advertised on the School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography website. If you are an international student seeking postgraduate funding you can also find some scholarship opportunities through the UK government. There are also non-repayable bursaries (also see here) for students from a lower income household. These include the Crankstart Scholarship, the Lloyds Scholars Programme, and the Oxford-Arlan Hamilton & Earline Butler Sims Scholarship. Support is also available for estranged students and students from a care background.  


There are also a few microgrants (typically £5 - £300) that you can apply to for support towards any need - for example, university application costs, visas, travel, language and other tuition, learning materials, and much more. The Black Trowel Collective supports students studying or seeking to study within the field of archaeology. The Animal Behaviour Collective supports students in animal behaviour subjects (including primatology), and also organises mentorships for prospective and current students of all career stages.


All UK universities require a degree of English language proficiency. If you are a prospective undergraduate student from a non-English speaking country, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency - for example, an IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge Certificate exam that fulfills the minimum requirements. The same generally applies for prospective graduate students - however, if your English proficiency is under but close to the minimum requirement (see here), the university offers a paid online pre-sessional english course that could help you meet the necessary conditions. In some cases, your department may also offer a place on the condition that you enrol in a free term-time course.


Support and information for students with disabilities can be found through the University Disability Advisory Service. There is also a YouTube Channel with short videos answering questions and discussing life in Oxford with a disability. The University access guide, provides further details and guides to accessing University buildings, departments and gardens, as well as museums and sports facilities. The UK government offers a Disabled Student Allowance for both part- and full-time students. You can check your eligibility here. There are also volunteering opportunities to assist other students with study support. You can sign up to be a support worker, with roles including note-taking, exam readers and scribes and study assistance for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.


The University also has resources available for students with dependents. Please contact the Student Union for answers to specific information for parents and carers. You can find details of the University’s Parental Leave Policy here and childcare services offered by the University and by Oxfordshire City Council by following the links provided here. 


Support for welfare needs is also available at the University. There is a University Counselling Service, which provides individual counselling, workshops, group counselling and also provides access to resources to support students at Oxford. There is also a peer support service, a specific DPhil support group, and an Oxford Mindfulness Centre which offers free mindfulness practices every Wednesday.


If you have any questions regarding resources or funding opportunities feel free to contact: or There is also information on the different pathways into academia and research projects of our lab members, with email addresses provided if you have any questions on these topics. For more information on our lab members and field technicians, please view their profiles on our website.